Cho to ask arbitration body to settle wage dispute
Published : 2013-01-11 19:49
Updated : 2013-01-11 19:49
Cho Kwang-rae, the former head coach of the South Korean men’s football team, said Friday he will reach out to an arbitration body to settle his contract dispute with the national football governing body.
In a phone interview, Cho told Yonhap that he will soon ask the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board to settle his case with the Korea Football Association.
“Late last year, I sent the KFA a certification of contents demanding that it pay me the outstanding salary by Jan. 9,” Cho said.
“The KFA has taken no action. I plan to ask the arbitration board to settle this case.”
Cho was fired by the KFA in December 2011 during the penultimate stage of the Asian qualification for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
In November that year, South Korea was upset by Lebanon 2-1 and was in danger of missing out on the final qualification round.
South Korea eventually advanced to the final stage under new head coach, Choi Kang-hee.
Cho was dismissed with six months left on his contract. Cho had earlier demanded that he be paid for the duration of his contract, while the KFA countered that it would only pay a portion of his outstanding wage. (Yonhap News)