Published : 2013-02-03 09:00
Updated : 2013-02-03 09:00
North Korea on Saturday threatened "deadly retaliation" against South Korea if it takes part in any form of sanctions imposed on the communist country for its December long-range rocket launch.
"The DPRK is fully ready for both economic and military sanctions and anyone who encroaches upon its dignity and sovereignty even a bit with any form of sanctions will not be able to avoid deadly retaliation," North Korea said in the form a statement issued by its Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland that handles inter-Korean relations.
The DPRK stands for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the North's official name.
The committee's statement, carried by the Korean Central News Agency, said a recent meeting of South Korean security ministers, chaired by President Lee Myung-bak, can only be seen as fueling confrontation with the North.
It said comments made at the meeting can be seen as an attempt to wreak havoc with inter-Korean relations to the point that they cannot be repaired even if a new administration takes office in Seoul later this month.
During a meeting of its security ministers on Thursday, South Korea warned that it will slap tough sanctions on North Korea if it moves forward to test another atomic device. The North had previously detonated nuclear devices in 2006 and 2009.
The North's statement, in particular, denounced the U.N.
Security Council resolution tightening sanctions against the isolated country, and made clear that further provocations can lead to grave consequences. (Yonhap News)