S. Korea to offer US$1 mln in aid for Iraqi humanitarian crisis

International school faces probe over admission fraud

kh close

 

Published : 2013-03-07 20:19
Updated : 2013-03-07 20:19

The Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education said Thursday that it will launch a special investigation into Younghoon International Middle School over alleged admission fraud involving conglomerate and elite families.

Several civic activist groups also petitioned Wednesday, calling for an investigation into the school officials.

They claim the chairman of the school asked for money, reportedly some 20 million won ($18,500) per student, from parents in exchange for enrolling their children.

The school in northern Seoul came under fire after it was revealed earlier this year that Samsung Electronics vice chairman Lee Jae-yong’s son was admitted in a special spot reserved for students with an unusual family circumstances.

The son of the divorced heir of country’s biggest conglomerate was accepted to the school last year under the “special consideration,” category.

The education office said it will conduct a three-week inspection of the school starting Friday.

“We’ll deploy an 11-member panel, including two civic group members, to look into the school’s admission process,” an official from the education office said.

By Oh Kyu-wook (596story@heraldcorp.com)

Photo News

카자흐 女배구선수 초특급 미모, 전세계 ‘깜짝’

클라라 언더웨어, 구릿빛 바디라인

이대생 미스코리아 진 완벽 몸매 화제