[Weekender] Star chef sees jang as part of Koreans’ DNA

‘Sequester won’t affect USFK readiness’

8th Army chief underscores allies’ capability to defeat N.K., hopes leader Kim would see “better ways” of solving problems

kh close

 

Published : 2013-03-17 18:28
Updated : 2013-03-17 21:27


8th U.S. Army Commander Lieut. Gen. John D. Johnson (EUSA)

[Herald Interview]

WARRIOR BASE, Gyeonggi Province -- The U.S. government’s automatic spending cuts that took effect on March 1 have no impact on the Korea-U.S. alliance’s capability to deter North Korean aggression, a top U.S. commander here told The Korea Herald.

“There is no impact on the resources that I have to maintain my combat readiness,” said 8th U.S. Army (EUSA) Commander Lieut. Gen. John D. Johnson in an interview Friday on the sidelines of the allies’ annual Key Resolve command post exercise.

“This exercise is exactly what it was designed to be. There’s no plan or anticipated reductions in the number or scope of the exercises that are coming up,” he said, emphasizing that Washington is doing “prudent” belt-tightening.

He admitted that there may be some services that will be limited as a result of the “sequester.”

“But those things that are focused on the readiness of this organization, the training, the equipment, the supplies that we have, the ability for our installations to support all that -- those will not be cut back.”

He stressed that the South Korea-U.S. alliance was fully ready to deal with North Korea’s escalating military threats.

Johnson also said North Korean leader Kim Jong-un appeared to be “on the same path” that his late father Kim Jong-il was on, expressing hopes that as he matures as a leader, he would see “better ways” to solve his country’s problems.

The interview was conducted at the Warrior Base in Paju, Gyeonggi Province, just south of the Demilitarized Zone separating the two Koreas.

It was the first time for the EUSA to set up its headquarters for the drills at the frontline base, amid Pyongyang’s continuing provocations including the Feb. 12 nuclear test. The exercise command center was previously located in Command Post OSCAR (Operations Support Center and Rear Command) in Daegu.

The 11-day exercise ends this Thursday.

Asked about reemerging calls here for the redeployment of U.S. tactical nuclear weapons following the North’s third atomic test, the commander stressed the alliance has the “wherewithal” to ensure peninsular security.

“The U.S. is dedicated to making sure we provide the protection that South Korea needs from most kinds of threats,” he said. “We have the wherewithal to reinforce our capabilities here. With those capabilities, we need to face that threat.”

Regarding a possible troop reduction here that could be caused by Washington’s plan to reduce its ground troops after a decade of war in Iraq and Afghanistan, Johnson reaffirmed there were no drawdown plans for the peninsula.

“There are no plans to reduce capabilities and forces we have here,” he said. “The U.S. military funds its priorities, and I can tell you Korea is at the top of those priorities. I am receiving resources I need to maintain my readiness at the very highest level.”

Underscoring the allies were “exactly on the right track” to achieve the transfer of wartime operational control slated for December 2015, Johnson said the challenge was how to preserve the current strong command structure.

“We have to preserve the ability to work that closely together, because we’ve spent 60 years putting that together and continuing to refine it. And I have every faith that we will be able to do that,” he said.

The allies’ Combined Forces Command is to be dissolved upon Seoul’s retaking of the OPCON. Seoul and Washington are currently in consultation over a new joint command apparatus to replace it.

Asked about whether Washington was considering retaining some of its combat troops north of Seoul rather than relocating all of the troops down to Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi Province, Johnson hinted the possibility might not be ruled out based on the allies’ security assessment.

“There are agreements we’ve got that we fully intend to abide by, but we still look at our situation and think about what is the best for our ability to protect this country, Seoul, and discuss that with the ROK military to determine what is best,” he said.

Touching on a recent series of criminal cases involving U.S. service members, he stressed the importance of close cooperation between the U.S. military and Seoul government in ensuring transparency and determining the best way to handle them.

He added his military has been employing a variety of programs such as cultural education and increased training for military leaders to ensure his soldiers’ good behavior and proper understanding of Korean culture and society.

“The vast majority of my soldiers, they behave themselves. We have some soldiers who don’t behave themselves. When that happens, I, as a commander, take responsibility for that because I represent our country and our army here in Korea,” he said.

Other than conventional threats, Johnson said that Seoul and Washington were “on the right track” in countering newly emerging security challenges including North Korea’s increasing cyberwarfare capabilities.

“We take the possibility of North Korean cyberwar very seriously. Part of the efforts is to make sure we are able to identify that as a threat and if it materializes, be able to defend ourselves from it,” he said.

Johnson, who has led the EUSA since November 2010, is expected to leave his post in May. In December, U.S. President Barack Obama nominated then-Army Maj. Gen. Bernard S. Champoux to replace him.

By Song Sang-ho (sshluck@heraldcorp.com)



<관련 한글 기사>

[단독인터뷰]

    미8군사령관, 한반도 전투태세 시퀘스터 영향무

- 파주 워리어베이스 키리졸브 지휘소 처음 설치
    - 주한미군 감축계획 없어
    - 김정은 당면 문제해결 위해 “더 나은 방법” 찾길 기대
    - 60년간 발전해 온 한미연합지휘체계 보존해야

파주 -- 미8군사령관 존 D 존슨(John D. Johnson) 중장은 15일 코리아 헤럴드와의 단독 인터뷰에서, 3월 1일 발효된 미국 연방정부 예산 자동삭감, 이른바 시퀘스터 (sequester)와 관련해 주한미군 전투준비태세에 아무런 영향이 없다고 강조했다.

그는 “전투준비태세에 필요한 자원을 확보하는데 있어서 시퀘스터는 아무런 영향이 없다. 현재 진행되는 훈련도 당초 계획한 그대로 진행되고 있고, 향후 있을 작전의 횟수와 범위를 줄이는 계획이나 예상된 감축도 없다,” 고 설명했다.

존슨 사령관은 또한 미국의 예산삭감은 “신중하게” 진행되고 있다며, 일부 제한되는 활동들이 있을 수 있으나, 전투준비태세와 관련된 훈련, 장비, 필요물자, 그리고 이 모든 것들을 지원하는 능력과 관련된 것을 줄이는 것은 없다며, 시퀘스터와 관련된 우려를 일축했다.

그는 또한 북한의 증가하고 있는 군사적 위협을 한미동맹이 대처할 준비가 충분히 되어 있다고 강조했다. 북한 지도자 김정은과 관련해서는, 그의 아버지 김정일과 비교해볼 때 “같은 길”을 가고 있는 것 같다며, 김정은이 지도자로서 성숙하면서 북한이 당면한 문제점들을 해결하기 위해 “훨씬 더 나은 방식”을 찾을 수 있길 희망한다고 밝혔다.

존슨 사령관과의 인터뷰는 비무장지대 (DMZ)에서 약 8km 떨어진 경기도 파주 워리어 베이스(Warrior Base) 에서 진행되었다. 미8군이 키리졸브 훈련본부를 이곳에 설치한 것은 이번이 처음이다. 지난해까지는 대구 오스카 지휘소에서 훈련본부가 차려졌었다. 북한이 “핵전쟁 침략 연습”이라며 맹비난하는 11일간의 키리졸브 훈련은 목요일에 종료된다.

지난 달 북한의 3차 핵실험 이후 부상하고 있는 미국의 전술핵 재도입 주장과 관련해서, 존슨 사령관은 한미연합군은 한반도 안보를 유지하는데 “수단”을 갖추고 있고 계속해서 능력 보강을 위해 노력하고 있다고 강조했다.

그는 “미국은 한국이 직면하고 있는 대부분의 종류의 위협들에 대처하는 것에 필요한 보호를 제공하기 위해 헌신하고 있다. 우리는 이곳 한반도에서 우리의 능력강화를 할 수 있는 수단을 가지고 있고 이 수단과 함께 위협에 대응해야 한다,” 말했다.

존슨 사령관은 또한 이라크와 아프간에서의 10년 간의 전쟁이 마무리되는 상황에서 미국정부가 지상군을 줄이는 것과 관련해서, 주한 미육군의 병력을 감축하는 계획은 없다고 말했다. “우리 미육군이 (한반도에) 가지고 있는 능력과 병력을 줄이는 계획은 없다. 미국은 국방 우선순위에 자금을 제공하고 있고, 제가 말씀드릴 수 있는 것은 한국은 그 최고의 우선순위에 있다는 것이다”고 지적하면서 현재 주한 미육군이 최상의 준비태세를 갖출 수 있는 자원들을 제공받고 있다고 강조했다.

2015년으로 예정된 전시작전통제권 전환과 관련해서는, 한미가 “정확히 올바른 궤도 선상에 있다”면서 하나의 관련 도전과제가 있다면, 한미연합사 해체 이후, 현재의 강력한 연합지휘메커니즘을 보전하는 것이라고 말했다.

그는 이와 관련 “보시는 바와 같이 이렇게 긴밀하게 (한미가) 협조하여 일할 수 있는 능력을 유지하는 것이 관건입니다. 왜냐하면 우리는 이런 (협력지휘체제)를 갖추기 위해 지난 60년간 노력해왔고 계속 그 체제를 정교하게 발전시켜 왔습니다. 저는 우리가 (이와 같은 연합지휘협력) 유지할 수 있을 것이라 믿어 의심치 않습니다,” 라고 말했다.

최근 보도된, 일부 미군 병력의 한강이북 잔류 가능성과 관련해서, 존슨 사령관은 “한미양국이 합의한 사항이 있고 미군을 그것을 지켜나가겠지만, 양국이 안보상황을 지속적으로 살펴보고 평가하면서 최선의 방안이 무엇인지를 논의해 나갈 것이다” 고 설명하면서 그 가능성을 일축하지 않았다.

최근 일련의 미군이 연루된 사건과 관련해서는, 한미가 긴밀히 공조하여 해결책을 모색하는 것이 중요하다고 강조했다. 그는 또한 문화교육, 군 지도자 훈련 등을 통해서 주한미군이 한국 사회와 문화를 잘 이해하고 적응할 수 있도록 노력하고 있다고 설명했다.

그는 “일부 병사들이 문제가 되는 경우가 있습니다. 이런 상황이 발생할 경우, 거기에 대해서는 제가 사령관으로서 책임을 지게 됩니다. 제가 우리나라와 주한 미육군을 대표하기 때문이죠,”라고 말했다.

존슨 사령관은 또한 북한의 사이버전 기술능력과 같이 새롭게 부상하고 있는 안보과제들과 관련에 한미공조가 잘되고 있다고 설명했다. 그는 “우리는 북한의 사이버전 가능성을 매우 심각하게 지켜보고 있다. 이와 관련해 우리는 그것을 위협요소로 식별하고, 그 것이 발생하면 우리가 제대로 방어할 수 있도록 노력하고 있다”고 말했다.

그는 2010년 11월부터 미8군 사령관직을 맡고 있고 5월에 임기가 끝날 예정이다. 지난해 12월 미국 오바마 대통령은 당시 버나드 샴포스 소장 (Bernard S. Champoux)을 그의 후임자로 내정했다.

(코리아 헤럴드 / 송상호 기자)

Photo News

티아라 효민 멋진 뒤태에 남심 흔들

섹시백 선발대회 몸매 뽐내는 참가자들

카자흐 女배구선수 초특급 미모, 전세계 ‘깜짝’