NATIONAL

N.K. leader orders rocket forces to be on standby to strike U.S. and S. Korean targets

By 윤민식
  • Published : Mar 29, 2013 - 09:10
  • Updated : Mar 29, 2013 - 09:31

Kim Jong-un (KNCA-Yonhap News)


North Korean leader Kim Jong-un ordered the country's strategic rocket forces to be placed on standby to strike U.S. and South Korean targets, state media reported Friday, after two B-2 stealth bombers conducted first-ever operational drills over the Korean Peninsula. 

The Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said, in an English dispatch, "(Kim) convened an urgent operation meeting on the Korean People's Army's Strategic Rocket Force's performance of duty for firepower strike at the Supreme Command at 00:30 Friday.

"He finally signed the plan on technical preparations of strategic rockets, ordering them to be on standby to fire so that they may strike any time the U.S. mainland, its military bases in the operational theaters in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, and those in south Korea," the report said.

It added that Kim pointed out that by letting B-2s make sorties over the South, the U.S. once again showed its hostile intent against the North and claimed Washington's provocation has entered a reckless level, "going beyond the phase of threat and blackmail."

The KCNA said that Kim viewed the B-2 bombing drills as more than simple demonstration of force in reaction to the tough stance by North Korea, but an ultimatum that Washington will ignite a nuclear war at any cost.

"Kim declared the revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK would react to the U.S. nuclear blackmail with merciless nuclear attack, and war of aggression with an all-out war of justice (of its own)," the KCNA said. The DPRK stands for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the North's official name.

Meanwhile, the swift reporting of a middle of the night emergency meeting of senior commanders is unusual and may reflect the level of intimidation felt by Pyongyang with the appearance of the B-2s over South Korea.

The U.S. Air Force's nuclear-capable stealth bombers carried out their bombing drill over the Korean Peninsula, hitting Jik Islet off Gunsan with bombs on Thursday. The move is seen as a clear message of strong warning to Pyongyang, which has recently threatened a pre-emptive nuclear attack on the U.S. and South Korea.

The North ratcheted up tension by launching a long-range rocket late last year and by detonating its third nuclear device on Feb. 12, in the face of strong opposition from the international community.

The planes took off from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri on Wednesday and flew over 10,000 kilometers using airborne refueling to reach South Korea the following day. The bombers can each carry up to 23 tons or various guided bombs and are designed to penetrate heavily defended air space to strike key targets such as command and control facilities without being detected by radar. (Yonhap News)



<관련 한글 기사>


북한 김정은, “미사일 사격대기” 지시!


북한 김정은 국방위원회 제1위원장은 29 일 오전 0시 30분 전략미사일 부대의 화력타격 임무에 관한 작전회의를 긴급 소집하고 사격 대기상태에 들어갈 것을 지시했다고 조선중앙통신이 보도했다.

김 제1위원장이 심야에 최고사령부 회의를 소집하고 이를 북한 언론매체가 신속히 전하는 것은 매우 이례적인 일이다.

그는 긴급회의에서 "아군전략로케트(미사일)들이 임의의 시각에 미국 본토와 하 와이, 괌도를 비롯한 태평양작전전구안의 미제 침략군기지들, 남조선 주둔 미군기지를 타격할 수 있게 사격대기상태에 들어가라"고 지시하고 미사일 기술준비공정계획서에 최종 서명했다고 중앙통신이 전했다.

김 제1위원장은 "미제가 남조선 상공에 련이어 스텔스 전략폭격기 B-2A까지 발진시킨 것은 반공화국 적대행위가 단순한 위협 공갈단계를 넘어 무모한 행동단계에 들어섰다는 것을 다시금 보여주고 있다"고 밝혔다.

특히 미군 B-2 스텔스 폭격기의 한반도 진입이 "핵전쟁을 일으키겠다는 최후통첩"이라며 "미제의 핵공갈에는 무자비한 핵공격으로, 침략전쟁에는 정의의 전면전쟁으로 대답할 것"이라고 강조했다.

이 같은 조치는 B-2 스텔스 폭격기의 한반도 진입에 맞서 북한의 미사일 부대가 언제든지 실전 발사를 할 수 있도록 준비를 할 것을 지시한 것으로 풀이된다.

그는 "우리 인민군대는 미제의 광기어린 침략책동을 결코 보고만 있지 않을 것이며 나라와 민족의 운명을 지키기 위하여 할 수 있는 모든 것을 다할 것"이라고 덧 붙였다.

이날 회의에는 현영철 총참모장, 리영길 작전국장, 김영철 정찰총국장 겸 부총참모장, 김락겸 전략로켓군 사령관 등이 참석했다.

앞서 스텔스 전략폭격기 B-2(스피릿) 2대가 미국 본토 미주리 주 화이트맨 공군 기지에서 27일 밤 출격해 공중급유를 받으며 1만 500㎞를 비행, 28일 정오를 전후해 한반도에 도착해 임무를 수행한 뒤 복귀했다. (연합뉴스)