NATIONAL

US govt. to meet American nabbed near inter-Korean border

By Yonhap
  • Published : Nov 15, 2017 - 10:41
  • Updated : Nov 15, 2017 - 10:41

The US State Department said Tuesday that it will soon meet with a US citizen who was arrested for crossing the Civilian Control Line without permission in an alleged attempt to enter North Korea earlier this week, a US broadcaster reported.

 "We are aware of media reports regarding the detention of a US citizen in the Republic of Korea, near the border with North Korea," Katina Adams, a spokeswoman for the US State Department told Voice of America.

The 58-year-old American, only identified as "A," was seized at 9:55 a.m. Monday as he trespassed on the northern side of the control line in Yeoncheon County, 62km north of Seoul. 

(Yonhap)

Hailing from Louisiana, the American reportedly came to the South three days before his arrest, and violated the line to enter the communist North for political purposes. 

Drawn just below the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone bisecting the two Koreas, the line strictly controls civilian entry to protect the security of military facilities and operations there, and anyone who crosses it is required to get a prior permit.

"When we are notified of a US citizen, we will seek to visit the individual as soon as possible. We stand ready to provide appropriate consular services," the spokeswoman said.

A joint probe by the South Korean police, Army and National Intelligence Service is currently under way. (Yonhap)