The Defense Ministry said Tuesday it will seek to withdraw troops and equipment from guard posts inside the Demilitarized Zone, pledging to transform the heavily fortified area into a symbol of peace between the two Koreas.
* push for: 추진하다, (call for: 촉구하다)
* withdraw: 철수
* guard posts: 경계초소, 감시초소
* fortify: 요새화하다 (arm: 무장하다)
 In a briefing to lawmakers, the Ministry of National Defense said the withdrawal plan would be sought “on a trial basis” until the conditions are in place for a complete withdrawal, following environmental and historical research on the cross-border region.
* lawmaker: 국회의원 (National Assembly: 한국의 국회)
* Ministry of National Defense: 국방부
* on a trial basis: 시범적으로 (on the basis of~: ~를 근간을, 토대로)
* in place: ~를 위한 준비가 되어있다, 자리를 잡다
* cross-border region: 국경지대
 The ministry said the measure is part of efforts to implement the Panmunjom Declaration made at the inter-Korean summit on April 27. President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un agreed to cease all forms of hostilities and replace the current armistice with a peace agreement.
* measure: 조치
* implement: 시행하다
* cease: 중지하다
* hostilities: 적대행위
* armistice: 휴전협정
2. Late novelist posthumously receives highest cultural honor
기사요약: 남북이념 갈등에 대해 다룬 소설 '광장'의 작가 최인훈이 지난 23일, 암투병끝에 세상을 떠났다. 이에 정부는 24일 최인훈 작가에게 금관문화훈장을 추서했다.
 The government on Tuesday bestowed the late novelist Choi In-hun with the Geumgwan Order of Cultural Merit, the highest class of its kind, for his contribution to Korean literature.
* posthumously: 사후에
* bestow: 수여하다
* late: 고(故)
* contribution: 공헌
 Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Do Jong-hwan visited the funeral parlor of the late writer at the Seoul National University Hospital to offer condolences to the bereaved family and present the medal on behalf of the government.
* funeral parlor: 장례식장
* offer condolences: 애도를 표하다 (=pay respect to~)
* bereaved family: 유족
* on behalf of ~: ~를 대신해, ~를 대표해